Monday, February 10, 2014

Hearty Beef Stew

We're going through the meals I prepared shortly before Hudson's arrival. We found out that each one typically has left overs and can provide lunch the next day or a snack for the husband. I am loving it as it keeps me from having to cook or attempt to cook a big meal each night. I am constantly starving while nursing. 

Tonight, we had a hearty beef stew and served it over loaded healthy version mashed potatoes with yeast dinner rolls. We were wanting something other than corn bread since we have had quite a bit lately.  This dish was definitely different than my traditional beef stew recipe but very tasty and easy. Perfect for a cold winter night after getting up at 1:30 for the day. Yes, seriously 1:30 in the morning.  The husband even loved it and he is NOT a soup or stew guy. 


Hearty Beef Stew
1-2 pounds beef cubes
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
4 carrots peeled and diced
4 red potatoes with skin on diced (we opted out of these since serving over mashed potatoes)
1 packet of dry onion soup mix 
1 bag frozen mix soup/stew veggies
1 8 oz can tomato sauce

You can brown your meat before tossing in the slow cooker to seal in the flavor.  We simply tossed everything into a freezer bag, double bagged and froze flat in freezer. Once thawed, we put in slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours depending on your slow cooker. 

Yummy!

My dad is doing much better and gets stronger each day. If you could still keep him in your prayers, we would greatly appreciate it. He has a couple more weeks before being back to his healthy, entergetic self.  I guess I didn't tell anyone he was admitted to the hospital because when I shared his status on FB about leaving the hospital, my cell phone began blowing up. I think he gave us all a scare but he was in and out quickly after being on all sorts of meds before entering the hospital.  Of course we sent a chocolate cookie cake that sweet Auntie Collins delivered for us.  This is becoming our staple, chocolate chip cookie cakes, but who would complain?
Our little man, very VERY alert and awake today.

1 comment:

  1. I'm praying for your dad!!!
    I love Hudson's wrinkly little forehead. He is the sweetest!
    Your beef stew looks yummy. That is one thing I can never get right. I will have to use your recipe!

    ReplyDelete