Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ash Wednesday

Many of us started our journey today into Lent.
Some of you are probably confused as to what Lent is.
It is a lot more than no meat Fridays.
it is a lot more than just giving up something.
Today is Ash Wednesday.
It is the 7th Wednesday before Easter.
The first day of Lent.
Or the day after Fat Tuesday (as much of the world thinks of).
At Masses today, ashes are imposed on the foreheads of the faithful in the shape of a cross.
You wear these until they come off.
The liturgical color for Lent is purple or shades of purple.
These colors symbolize both the pain and suffering leading up to the crucifixion of Jesus as well as the suffering of humanity and the world under sin.
Purple is also the color of royalty, and so anticipates through the suffering and death of Jesus the coming resurrection and hope of newness that will be celebrated in the Resurrection on Easter Sunday.
Yes, we don't eat meat on Fridays.
We go to Mass many times over the next 40 days.
We have fish frys.
And no flowers in the church.
And I am giving up cokes this year.
Really, I am.
I'm sure by Friday, I will be in tears.
Say a prayer for my head.
Say a prayer for HG and the hubby.
He hasn't decided what he is giving up.
I feel that HG is much too young to give up anything.
Maybe she'll give up fits?
Wishful thinking.

1 comment:

  1. I am giving up watching the news all day/and trashy tv. It's such an addiction for me. So far, so good. I've had to stop myself from turning it on, but silence is nice and so is the extra time I have to do stuff around the house. Good luck with the cokes. I know you can do it! Great post!

    ReplyDelete