Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Pay it Forward

Still haven't left the apartment.
HG hasn't really been going in her diaper over night anymore.
Unless she has a lot to drink after 6.
I guess last night was one of those nights.
I even think there was pee in her hair at 3:31am.
Gross!
We are going stir crazy in this tiny, messy little place.
I keep telling myself that it is much better than the alternative, no housing at all.
Here I am worried about loosing power for a few hours when there are people who never even have shelter.
Shame on me. Shame on me BIG TIME.
I have been worried about the homeless with these brutal temperatures.
I wonder how many lost their lives this week when the windchill was below zero and the shelters were full.
A cup of warm coffee and a PBJ goes a long way.
When the ice is gone, get out and look for those less fortunate. They won't hurt you. You will be an Angel in their eyes by giving them a warm jacket and sack lunch.
We are going through closets today. I found a jacket from high school, probably haven't worn since then in perfect condition. One simple thing can help keep someone warm.
Pay it forward.
I asked HG what she wanted to do today when she woke.
I was thinking along the lines of swimming in the tub, a movie, playing with toys......
HG had another plan.
1. Happy Meal
2. Walmart to buy Daddy's a birthday cake
3. Target to get a toy
4. Chuck E Cheese for dinner
5. Elmo bath but not washing my hair
6. Painting
Her list, well it caught me by surprise.
We are trying to compromise.
1. Instead of a Happy Meal for lunch, I let her help cook her eggs and bacon. Add some salsa, a tortilla and ranch. She is a happy gal.
2. Went outside in the freezing temps only to find a massive ice patch behind my car. I couldn't bust it. So no Walmart for now. However, after last night we might be walking for over night huggies! :)
3. No toy after peeing in the bed and peeing on the floor today. Thank goodness for rentals and a steam cleaner.
4. CEC is the reward for no accidents (except at night) for the week. We were on a roll until today. Her "booty was just too cold to take her panties off".
Never thought I would be potty training the same child twice.
5. She is in the tub, swimming with Elmo bath fizzes right now. She also has a floatie. And has a Popsicle.
6. We paint with mess free crayola paint. I love it so painting doesn't bother me.
STAY WARM

3 comments:

  1. you know how to live it up if you're stuck indoors, that's for sure! We just sit around on the computer and watch TV. Not good! It's hard because Kallie wants EVERYTHING Kensley has-- and vice versa. But a lot of stuff Kensley can have, Kallie can't have! And KG's naps are WAY off these days..... so anyways.... needless to say, I am SOOO ready for the Spring! I will have two kids that can walk and run and play around outside! :)

    Enjoy the rest of your day! We just finished Tinkerbell... for the 6th time! (we've only had it since yesterday afternoon)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think about the homeless a lot too, during this awfully cold weather! ugh. I heard some people on the news tonight saying they wanted a refund b/c their power was out for 15 minutes! I wanted to yell at them. I am grateful for what I do have. :)

    I love what you said here, "they won't hurt you". A friend of Kevin's found out I took food to the homeless and he was just dumbfounded, then he asked if I carried a gun for protection. It deeply offended me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about the homeless people so much this week. My husband works 3 blocks from the homeless shelter in downtown Denver and his parking lot is across the street from it.

    He is so cold just walking the three blocks.....

    I'm iced in too. Just used the last piece of bread so I'll have to dig out tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete